A Christmas project inspired by the book, "The Quiltmaker's Gift"

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Part 3 - Christmas Day

Our final stop. The last, but very much my favorite, moment on the 26th! The photo doesn't depict the mother and two other girls.



THIS is Christmas cheer!


An package for a very large family!


We spent a few hours in the morning as a family enjoying a simple breakfast and playing with Christmas gifts. The kids felt especially blessed, as did Tom and I. We set out around 9am to make the deliveries. We were greeted throughout the day with smiles and gratitude. ZERO complaints from the kids, this year they knew just what to expect. A long day, 'fast food' (as if there is any of that here), and heat. Smiles all around none the less! We made deliveries until 6pm.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH
It is so interesting to me, but with this year just as the last, there is always just enough and nothing left over. It isn't a coincidence. Down to the last set of butterfly wings, and the t-shirt I bought for no particular reason, it was all handed out to the hands that were waiting. The last family we delivered to was very special, and the memory will always stick with me. It is very similar to the story of 'The Pan' from 2009, but it's about a little makeup kit.

The Makeup Kits
Of course food and clothing are the priority for our Christmas deliveries. But we feel like it just wouldn't be Christmas without an additional toy or accessory. We try to find something age appropriate for all the kids. This year when I was shopping at Mundo Magico I felt inspired to put together 3 makeup kits. You know, those darling little bags to which I added some lip gloss, scented body spray, and some hair accessories. Instead of questioning who it could be for, as I did the year before with the pan, I just threw it in the cart and knew it was meant for someone.
I handed one of the 3 kits out on Christmas Eve to a grateful recipient. The other two kits sat in the back of the car, and uninspired they stayed there. We only had a few families to deliver to on the 26th, I was anxious I had wasted a purchase. OUR VERY LAST STOP, and the bags were still in the back of the car. I also had some stray men's cologne, a leftover pair of butterfly wings, men's socks, and some girl's clothing in a variety of sizes.
We didn't know much about this last family, only that they needed food. So we arrived with a very large food package to find all they had in their fridge was a pot of beans, NOTHING MORE. I was already tearful. Then we met the young lady and her two brothers (with disabilities.) The count for the house was a 6 year old girl, an 11 year old girl, a 13 year old girl, and 2 older boys = a perfectly matched home for the butterfly wings, two inspired makeup kits that were received with DELIGHT, men's cologne and socks, girl's clothing, and a whole lot of food. Empty car, full hands, brimming heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment